Wednesday, March 26, 2014

March 2014 Quilt Group Meeting

(I know I should have brought my camera...if you have photos of your items mentioned below, please email them to me and I'll add them to the post below. Thanks!)

We are sorry we missed some of you at quilt night this evening. We were sure happy though to have Stacy back with us and one of Lorraine's friends Sandy join us. 

Lorraine brought a pattern that used the Lil Twister Pinwheel Tool (click on the picture to take you to where you can buy one).



She showed us all her bright fabric choices with a black background and had us help her pick out the best options for her quilt. It should be stunning and we can't wait to see the results Lorraine! Here is a link to the Illusions pattern she brought: http://quiltbug.com/patterns/twister-quilt-patterns.htm

Stacy brought a quilt she is making for her son who is going off to college this Fall. He picked out the fabric (blue, green, and gray) and the pattern for it. She is using a Disappearing 4-patch design that makes a really neat sashing. 
(Here is a link to a YouTube tutorial on how to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA-10A_Uc6k)
She also told us of a place we had not heard of before for online fabric (correct me if I'm wrong Stacy) Marshall Dry Goods http://www.marshalldrygoods.com/.

She is going to quilt-as-you-go to finish it off. We hope to see it finished at a meeting before he takes it off to college with him. She also completed a Square in a Square quilt for a niece that is off to college this Fall also. I loved the combination of orange and turquoise!

(I found this that was similar to her Square in a Square: http://sewcraftyjess.blogspot.com/2010/12/quilt-pattern.html)

I showed off my Japanese Knot bag that is reversible and would make a great little tote for when you don't want to lug around a big purse. Great for young girls too. I've attached a picture of some I made last week.




Jody showed us the Disappearing 9-patch flannel baby girl blanket she is making for an upcoming grandbaby and she is going to surprise us and let us know if she was daring enough to put the "Star Wars" text fabric on the back. I think she should! :) She also showed us a "pot holder" (I put that in double quotes for a reason) top that is very small applique that is so uniquely Jody as she likes to work in miniature. Kathleen was right that I don't think it should see the bottom of a pot! :)

So that was it for Show & Tell...

We then watched this great episode of Quilting Arts that taught about the Disappearing 9-Patch quilt piecing technique and also clever way to make a hexagon quilt from circles. I really have to try it!
http://www.quiltingdaily.com/blogs/qatv_series_1300/archive/2013/12/20/quilting-arts-tv-episode-1308-quilting-simplified.aspx

We finished off the night with some root beer floats provided by Jody. Thanks Jody for letting us borrow your house this month! We hope to see you all at our next meeting on April 22nd.


No comments:

Post a Comment